Monday, September 14, 2026

Response to Skemp article

 Response to Skemp article (Sorry for missing the 9am Deadline)

I was in full agreement when Skemp answers "Yes; Relational" as he considered relational understanding to be better than instrumental understanding, especially since relational understanding contains instrumental understanding within it. I was taken back by "the existence of a large body of experienced teachers and of a large number of texts belonging to the other camp."

I expected the arguments Skemp lists under Devil's advocate, notably that instructional understanding is simpler and therefore could take less time to teach. I still find myself aligning more with the relational approach, and I will need to prepare to deal with students who prefer the instructional approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Battle ground schools response

I had to stop at the table of dichotomies that you acknowledged were false. I focussed on each row, but while trying to choose either conser...